The best thing about banana bread is that it is actually a cake. But because it is called a bread and has healthy fruit in it, it is totally legitimate to have it for breakfast or as a healthy snack in between. Yes, that is how my brain works.
To be honest though, I´d have this particular banana bread for breakfast even if it was called a cake because it is absolutely divine: moist yet slightly grainy, the perfect level of sweetness and a hint of cinnamon.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 75 gr. sugar
- 75 gr. brown sugar
- 3,5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
- 180 ml almond milk (or regular milk)
- 160 gr. whole grain spelt flour
- 160 gr. regular flour
- 100 gr. coarse oats
1. Mash the bananas with a fork and mix in all the ingredients apart from the flours and the oats and whisk
2. Now stir in the flours and the oats
3. Heat oven to 175°C or 350°F and fill the mass into a greased (or lined with parchment paper) loaf pan
4. Let it bake for 60- 75 min. until cracked and golden on top.
5. Let it cool down and eat the banana bread as it it or with butter or honey or cheese or…