Every year a day or two before christmas we will meet up for a luscious brunch or „Kaffeeklatsch“ with our group of girlfriends from home. Most of us live in Berlin anyways but it is a wonderful time to share gossip, complain about the christmas-stress and exchange a gift or two. This year, May curiously watched me carry in a basket full of homemade goodies and told me that we might have prepared the same gifts. When it was time to reveal the presents, both of us sure enough pulled out cans of freshly made granola for the friends! While May had whipped up a delicious nutty banana granola, I had stuck to a more basic coconut-almond version. We will share both recipes and highly recommend preparing these gourmet granolas: easypeasy to make, great to have at home and both do indeed make wonderful gifts.
The coconut-almond granola was a more basic mix that tastes even better with fresh fruit added. May´s nutty banana granola is crunchier and the combination so harmonised that it does not really need addition. But really, there are no limits to the wishes of your tastebuds: you can add any type of nut (shredded), coconut, raisins, cinnamon, chocolate bits (those should be added later in the baking process to prevent from burning), apple, mushed banana etc. All granolas are based on the same procedure.
Ingredients: (makes about 14 portions or 2 bigger cans)
- 400 gram rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 120 gram liquid honey (alternatively agave syrup)
- 4 tbsp. sunflower oil
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C
2. Whisk the oil and honey together in a small pan over low heat
3. Combine the dry ingredients, including your personal choices of flavour
4. Pour the honey mix over the dry ingredients stir until the oats are well coated. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet. Bake until crispy (approximately 25 minutes). If you prefer your granola crunchy, leave it at that. If you prefer it crumbly, stir the mixture during the baking process.
Crumbly Coconut Granola
- 1 cup of raw almonds, chopped
- 1.5 cups of flaked coconutPreparation:
- Add nuts to the dry ingredients before baking
- Bake for 10 min. and remove from the oven to stir. Repeat this process every 5 min. until the oats have the desired crispy-ness. Mine were in the oven for 25 min. in total and turned out pretty crispy.
Crunchy banana granola
- 1 cup of whole, unchopped almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp flax seed
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- Add the almonds, the pumpkin seeds, the cinnamon and the flax seed to the dry ingredients before baking.
- Whisk the banana puree into the oil and honey mixture
- Don’t toss the mix while baking to get a crunchy granola with a bite. Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
Tip: Store the granola in old, cleaned out pickle jars from the supermarket
P.S. Our granola-recipes were inspired by recipes from these two wonderful blogs: