When it comes to lemon cake, I am frequently disappointed. Often, it tastes of nothing but sugar and then people drizzle it with glaze, making it even sweeter. If made right, though, lemon cake can be moist and juicy, refreshing and addictive. And probably you have all the ingredients for one in your kitchen right now!
I’ve ‘veganized’ a brilliant recipe from Smitten Kitchen and added less sugar, in order to enhance the fruity taste of the tartlets. In the original recipe, blue berries are added. A tempting idea that I will definitely try once they’re back in season.
Moist lemon & yoghurt tartlets
- 200g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of crushed linseed
- 250g soy yogurt
- 100g brown sugar
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- extra lemon zest for decoration
- Preheat the oven on 160ºC
- Grease the muffin tin/ put in cake moulds
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl
- Whisk the yoghurt, the sugar, the lemon zest, the vanilla extract and the vegetable oil in another. Add two thirds of the lemon juice.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and pour the batter into the tin.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes, then take it out.
- Heat the remaining lemon juice and dissolve 1 tbsp sugar inside. Drizzle the cake with it and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Decorate the tartlets with yoghurt and grated lemon zest.