Friends, I must admit my christmas special is
kind of very late, but at my parent’s home I got so into christmas mood I didn’t touch a computer in two weeks. But isn’t that wonderful somehow? Since we’ve started this website I’ve sometimes felt a little under pressure to make great meals and picturesque photos. Shouldn’t the holidays be a time to relax and to meet old friends, to unwrap presents and to let all unfinished work and your worries rest for a couple of days? (Long walks, watching old movies… are you with me?)
Most people start the year with new year’s resolutions. I will start the year with a dessert. Apparently the number of gym memberships skyrockets in January. And while there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of sports, I believe there’s nothing wrong with a delicious dessert, either. Especially if it is as healthy and tasty as the German classic, the Bratapfel. Basically, you just stuff an appel with nuts and raisins. No need for cookie dough! And you can easily prepare it all vegan! For a modern twist on the traditional Bratapfel I added cranberries and caramelized Speculoos (Biscoff cookies in the US/ Lotus cookies in the UK). Enjoy the dish fresh from the oven & pour it with vanilla ice-cream or hot vanilla sauce.
Stuffed apples with cranberries and caramalized Speculoos
Ingredients (for 6 persons):
- 6 big, ruby apples (e.g. Jonagold), washed
- 3 tbsp walnuts
- 4 tbsp cranberries
- 5 speculoos biscuits (or any other dark cookies, if you can’t find the former)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (or agave nectar)
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp margarine
- Preheat the oven on 200ºC.
- Carefully remove the top (approx.. 2 cm) of the apples. You will need it later. Core the remains of the apples (the bigger the whole, the more filling) and place them on a baking tray.
- Chop the walnuts and crumble the biscuits in a freezer bag.
- Melt the margarine in a pan, then add the sugar and the salt. Don’t forget stirring! Next add the nuts and the biscuits. Remove the mixture from the fire after a minute, then add the cranberries.
- If the mixture becomes too thick, add some water. It should be easy to fill the apples with it.
- Stuff the apples, put the top back on top an bake them for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.