A recent trip to the US reawakened my passion/obsession for chocolate chip cookies. Well done, that meaning crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, a sweet and caramelly dough and delicious chocolate bits, they are one of my favorite treats. Finding precisely those chocolate chip cookies is unfortunately very difficult in Germany so for years now it has been my personal challenge to find the perfect recipe. After pulling many batches out of the oven I have finally found a combination that satisfies my high standards in chocolate chip cookie-craftsmanship 🙂
“Gut Ding braucht Weile”, ´Good things need time´ is an old German saying that applies perfectly for this recipe. The secret of these delicious cookies lies not only in the combination of different types of flours, the unusual adding of salt but mostly in letting the dough rest in your fridge for at least 24 hours (I suggest separating a bit of dough to bake two or three cookies right away and still the initial craving ;)).
The recipe was found on this wonderful blog and has been translated to metric measurements and slightly adopted to my personal preferences.
Ingredients (makes 20 big CCC)
- 110 gr. cake flour
- 120 gr. bread flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tbsp. coarse salt
- 140 gr. butter
- 140 gr. brown sugar
- 110 gr. white sugar
- 1 big egg
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 200 gr. chocolate chips
1. Mix the flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl
2. Cream butter and the sugars until fluffy
3. Add the egg and vanilla extract and stir well
4. Now add the dry to liquid ingredients and stir until combined
5. Stir in the chocolate chips
– wrap the dough in plastic wrap and store in your refrigerator for 24 to 36 hours –
6. Preheat your oven to 175°C and take the dough out of the refrigerator to soften slightly
7. Line your backing tray with parchment paper and place 6 mounds of dough with the help of an ice cream scoop onto the tray- make sure to leave enough space for cookies to spread!
8. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt before baking them for 15 to 20 min or until golden brown
Like all chocolate chip cookies, these are amazing right out of the oven. However, the delicious caramelly flavor of these cookies will evolve even more after a couple of hours.
One of the best things about chocolate chip cookies is that they combine so deliciously with other mouth-watering food. My favorite combination is the ice cream cookie sandwich as seen above, but they are also great with fruit, hot or cold. Enjoy!